[Milton-L] An Idyll

Nancy Charlton pastorale55 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 2 21:34:01 EST 2009

With only the most tenuous of connections to Milton, I’d like to let list members know of a most idyllic spot in which to spend a winter sabbatical or a summer vacation.

My sister and bro-in-law have an awesomely beautiful home at Eastsound, Orcas Island Washington. Besides their own house (where they are now living year-round), there is a house that is rented by the week in summer ($$$$) and for a longer term  ($$$) during the winter.  It is a fully furnished three-bedroom, two-bath home, with two fireplaces, wood stove, full kitchen, washer and dryer, broadband TV and internet.  It’s 20 miles from the ferry, and handy to the airport and Eastsound, the only town in America which repeatedly rejects franchises and has only a modest Starbucks.  Good shopping, including bookstores, and fabulous restaurants.

AND, the house is right on the beach! If you look at a map, you'll see that Orcas is a big horseshoe-shaped island, and the house is right at the top of the horseshoe. It looks out to the north on beautiful sunsets and the southern end of the Georgia Straits; you see a lot of ships heading in and out of Vancouver. Sometimes you can see the northern lights, and more stars than you ever knew existed if you live in a city.  The weather is a little drier and warmer than most of Puget Sound.

This year they didn’t have a tenant for the entire winter, so it’s now available until June 1. As I said, it’s secluded but hardly boring, and would be a fine place to study and write. Other years they’ve had tenants who have done just that.

If you’re interested, please reply to me offlist, and I’ll have my sis contact you. Feel free to pass this along to others who might be interested. Apologies for cross-posting, and thanks for indulging this non-topic post– though I suppose the Miltonists could liken this to Horton (if not Eden) and the Shakespeareans to Illyria.

Sincerely,

Nancy Charlton

Nancy Charlton

http://groups.google.com/group/paradiselostdaily