[Milton-L] Oscar Brown, Jr: Fruit and Serpents

Horace Jeffery Hodges jefferyhodges at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 1 14:56:07 EST 2009

As a follow up to the other day's investigations, I blogged on Oscar Brown's "Forbidden Fruit":

http://gypsyscholarship.blogspot.com/2009/02/its-mighty-sweet-forbidden-fruit.html

While I didn't find Nina Simone's interpretation of the song, I did locate a version by Kim Nalley that seems a tribute to Simone's:

http://kr.youtube.com/watch?v=vq1P58v3qqo

Here are the lyrics again, for those who might want to sing along (or merely read along):

Forbidden Fruit

Oscar Brown, Jr.
Eve and Adam had a garden. Everything was jake,
Till one day a voice said, "Pardon, miss, my name is Snake.
You see that apple over yonder; if you'll take a bite,
You and Adam both are bound to have some fun tonight.
Go on and eat forbidden fruit.
It's quite a treat, forbidden fruit.
It's mighty sweet, forbidden fruit.
Go ahead and taste it. You don't wanna waste it."

The Lord had said in the beginning, "Everything here's free,
Except that apple. It leads to sinning. Leave that apple be."
But Eve got tempted so she tried it, and as chicks can do,
She teased her man till he decided he'd just try some too.
"Go on and eat forbidden fruit.
It's quite a treat, forbidden fruit.
It's mighty sweet, forbidden fruit.
Go ahead and bite it. Bet you'll be delighted."

I hate to tell you all what followed: the Lord was most upset.
Saw them making love and hollered, "What have you two et?"
And when they made a full confession, the Lord said, "Well, I see.
I'll just have to teach you a lesson about not minding me.
Go on and eat forbidden fruit.
It's quite a treat, forbidden fruit.
It's mighty sweet, forbidden fruit.
You all went and did it. Now you're gonna get it."

The Lord made Eve be Adam's madam, have his kids and all,
Laid some labor laws on Adam, and he made the snake to crawl.
And ever since the days of Eden, this world's been sinful, my!
Nowadays folks are even eating apples in their pie.
Go on and eat forbidden fruit.
It's quite a treat, forbidden fruit.
It's mighty sweet, forbidden fruit.
Go ahead and taste it. You don't wanna waste it.
Go ahead and bite it. Bet you'll be delighted.
You all went and did it, now you're gonna get it:
Forbidden fruit.

No need to thank me the time -- I'm still feeling the thanks from yesterday.

Jeffery Hodges