[Milton-L] Outreach to Educational Programming Decision Makers

Yuko Nii wahcenter at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 28 13:47:23 EDT 2009

From: Yuko Nii,
Yuko Nii Foundation

As you all know, it has been a great year for us here regarding
Milton's Paradise Lost. We have received world-wide attention for our
Milton celebration last October.

Since then we have decided to publish a Paradise Lost broadsheet as a
"learning incentive" for high school and college students. We ran it
by Dr. Robert J. Wickenheiser, a renowned educator, and the 19th
President of St. Bonaventure University. He was ecstatic about the
idea (see his response below)

We would like to present the concept to educational publishers and
committees, with a desire to have it distributed. Do any of you have
any suggestions on how we might go about this? Your help would be
highly appreciated. We are neophytes at educational publishing, but we
expect to have more offerings on a range of subjects over the next few
years. Perhaps you can recommend an agent.

Sincerely, Yuko Nii

What we are offering to schools: An 11 X 17 inch full color
broadsheet. It is a unique folded broadsheet (folded to 5.5 X 8.5
inches) that contains the entire synopsized edition of Terrance
Lindall’s rendition of John Milton’s Paradise Lost. The beauty of this
edition is that it is complete with exciting images and is very
inexpensive, such that schools can afford to hand it out free at the
beginning of the English literature course to all the students in the
class, inspiring their study of Milton’s work!  Translatable into any
major language.

 From Dr. Robert J. Wickenheiser:
Dear Terrance,

When I first received the information in your email sent only a short
while ago (4/20/09), I was genuinely very excited, hopeful that I
might play some small part in helping you, Yuko Nii, and the Center
launch what I wish I had had available to me when I taught literature
in my Abbey's Prep School years ago.  Now that you have sent me my box
with copies of what you described in your earlier email, I am
genuinely in awe of what you have prepared for teachers of literature
in high schools.

I applaud you for providing a new and most exciting manner for making
Milton come alive for all of (or at least a great many) high school
students.  As I held your broadsheet in front of me I was transformed
into that student who sees visually for the first time drawings/
illustrations for the great English epic Milton wrote, Paradise Lost,
a highly visionary epic, doing for England what Virgil did for Italy,
and Homer for Greece (as briefly stated summary of Dryden’s great
epigram).

Your broadsheet (with images beyond compare) are your grand gift to
all students (of all ages)  – now and in the future.  They are worth
far, far more than they or anyone, really, could afford to pay.  If
Milton has been brought to a new life in the 20th century,
particularly the last half of that century, then surely special
interest in Milton’s epic will take hold in high school students and
will prepare those students far more for study of Milton in college
than perhaps any class of high school students before now.  Thus, not
only are your images beyond compare, but they are also part of a gift
beyond compare in the form of the published broadsheets provided by
the Centre.

I was likewise in awe of your warm and most welcome presentation
copies to me.

With much esteem and abiding gratitude,

Bob