[Milton-L] Fetishizing Greatness, was Re: Is Paradise Lost

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 16:28:09 EDT 2009

Can you give me a reason to accept this definition, Salwa?  Doesn't it
ultimately descend from thinking that would have us ban all poets from
our ideal Republic?  If we were to extend our thought along these
lines we might also consider all language as metaphor, and therefore
all language as poetry, and perhaps then we should abandon either the
word "poetry" or "language" as they have become co-extensive.

I think our real options here are "limited" or "rigid" or "narrow"
definitions of the word poetry -- which is what I thought any
definition is to begin with -- or no meaningful definition at all.

Jim R