[Milton-L] Fetishizing Greatness, was Re: Is Paradise Lost

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 16:23:16 EDT 2009

Jeffery -- You could perhaps include the bars of music in Zukofsky's A
as examples of the further stretching of non-linguistic elements into
poetry, but I would say the Updike poem appears to be more a poem
about a visual artifact than a poem which truly makes the visual
images part of the poem.  Some of Blake's illuminated manuscripts come
close.  Of course shaped poems have long been recognized as poetry,
but of course not all word art is poetry -- the large, beautifully
drawn letters in illuminated books are not usually considered poetry.
In my opinion anything could conceivably be part of a poem, but you'd
need a poem present to begin with in order to make it so.