[Milton-L] Fetishizing Greatness, was Re: Is Paradise Lost

Dr. Larry Gorman larry at eastwest.edu
Fri Apr 24 15:23:38 EDT 2009

But that isn't the point.  The point is that we talk about poetry and
prose as single things because we have single words for them and we tend
to think that therefore they have a single meaning.  But there are a
variety of languages games in which we use the words.  In language game
A poetry refers to metered verse and we say that writing free verse is
like playing tennis without a net.  In language game B we make what we
call a poem out of a note we left to our wife after we got home late and
ate the plums left in the fridge.  In language game C we note that
passages from Moby Dick are really poems in disguise.  All of these
games make sense, and when someone else plays by other rules than ours
we can get all snarky and self-righteous because we know what it means
to write poetry, and those ignorant fools obviously don't.