[Milton-L] Fetishizing Greatness, was Re: Is Paradise Lost

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 11:40:03 EDT 2009

Prose with poetic qualities is still prose, while prosaic poetry may
still be poetry.  We can't use these words at all without drawing some
distinction between them.  The existence of shades of gray between two
is only made possible by the existence of clear exclusions.  If all
was gray, we'd eventually drop one word or the other.

Once we begin speaking in terms of the difference between poetry and
prose, or in terms of the difference between poetry and philosophy, we
have set our definitions already.

In all fairness I should include some mention of Romantic paradigms of
poetry (and more importantly the poet), but I'm trying very hard to
disregard them at the moment.

I should also add that Wittgenstein's Tractatus uses notations for
formal logic rather than calculus, but for some reason I believe he
called what he did a calculus of some kind within the Tractatus.
Haven't been able to find the reference, though.  He clearly did
consider mathematics to be a subset of formal logic.