[Milton-L] Fetishizing Greatness, was Re: Is Paradise Lost

jonnyangel junkopardner at comcast.net
Thu Apr 23 22:09:17 EDT 2009

"Poetry", contrary to what you may think, is not just "form" (I think you
mentioned form in an earlier post with regard to contemporary poetry). And
when Robert Frost said that "free verse" was like playing tennis without an
net, he also missed the point (but we'll let him off the hook because when
he said it there wasn't enough "free verse" to prove him wrong). I've said
it before, and I'll say it again; poetry is an a art, but you have to know
the craft to elevate it to art. And you being a wise a$$ about it is only
showing your lack of knowledge about what poetry really is. You can break up
lines all you want, but you know nothing about lines breaks, or poetry.
"Form" is probably the least important aspect of poetry. Anyone can write in
trimeter, or hexameter (when trimeter just isn't breathing enough), or even
beat on the blank verse, iambic bongos. It's a combination of things too
numerous to get into right now.

Look, I know a "little about a lot". But when it comes to poetry, I know A
LOT. After finals next week, if you want me to give you a crash course in in
poetry, I will. And I'm sure that there's a lot you could tell me about
Wittgenstein that I don't know in payment.

But following your bastardized conceptions of poetry, Elle Macpherson
sprawled out on a tropical beach is more "poetic" than anything Wittgenstein
had to say.

True dat,

JA