[Milton-L] Milton and Bulgakov?

Horace Jeffery Hodges jefferyhodges at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 22 20:54:57 EDT 2009

I've recently begun re-reading Mikhail Bulgakov's novel The Master and Margarita. Though it's closer to the Faust story than to anything written by Milton, I do wonder if Milton had any noticeable influence on Bulgakov.

I found one article that investigates possible echoes, but it finds nothing specific:

http://www.dur.ac.uk/theology.religion/research/projects/verticaltimeandspace/

A.N. Gorbunov "'Darkness Visible' (Bulgakov and Milton)"

Has anyone done any looking into possible links?

And in case of interest, here are a couple of my recent blog entries on Bulgakov:

http://gypsyscholarship.blogspot.com/2009/04/mikhail-bulgakov-master-and-margarita.html

http://gypsyscholarship.blogspot.com/2009/04/mikhail-bulgakov-vision-of-hell.html

Any suggestions on these would also be appreciated.

Jeffery Hodges