[Milton-L] Re: Is Paradise Lost

Horace Jeffery Hodges jefferyhodges at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 18 04:09:48 EDT 2009

Jonny, you imagine a gulf between yourself and the scholars here on this list, but that's a chasm that exists only because you construct it. We're all just a lot of people gathered here to talk about Milton. You are the one lumping people into categories of "poets" and "scholars" -- and insinuating that the scholars lack insight into poetry because they're scholars. That's a false dichotomy, and not only because some of these same scholars write poetry. Scholars have expertise, and insight. You may be a clever fellow with a high IQ (as I believe you once implied), but you go around with a rather large and precariously balanced chip on your shoulder, challenging people to knock it off.

Now, I'm merely a failed academic, so I might as well speak the truth as I see it. No one here cares if you picked a fight with a bust of Shakespeare and vandalized your school. We're not especially interested unless it brought you to some insightful understanding of Milton that you can share with this list. We really don't care if you think Shakespeare a shoddy poet and Milton the greatest. We don't give a damn about your opinion unless you have something interesting to say. But we're egalitarian about that, contrary to your expectations. We don't judge people by the letters that stand after their names. That would appear to be your personal issue. We evaluate what people say based on the reasons they give and the evidence they provide. Insulting others and bragging about taking two eyes in retribution for one is merely cruel bravado.

Have a bit of humility, young man, and accept the advice of one who has lived long enough to make some mistakes in life and learn a bit from them. Don't insult. Don't pick fights. Restrain your ego. Focus on the subject matter, not the vertical pronoun.

And I say this all with best, kindest intent, of course.

Jeffery Hodges