[Milton-L] Is Paradise Lost

Mario DiCesare dicesare1 at mindspring.com
Thu Apr 16 10:49:10 EDT 2009

Jim Rovira is absolutely right -- Milton knew exactly what he was doing. As a
refugee classicist basking in Milton's poetry forty years ago, I wrote a piece,
"Advent'rous Song: The Texture of Milton's Epic," for "Language and Style in Milton:
A Symposium," edited by Ronald Emma and John Shawcross (NY 1967), 1-29. (That volume
celebrated the tercentenary of "Paradise Lost.") The essay concluded that the notion
of a Latinate style in Milton is superficial and half-baked at best. (No, I didn't
put it so bluntly then! But the subject did provide the opportunity to go a good
deal further than inquiry into style.)

I couldn't put it any better than Jim did: Of course Milton knew what he was doing.

Cheers,

Mario A. DiCesare