[Milton-L] Is Paradise Lost

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 09:16:31 EDT 2009

Not to me.  It indicates to me a giving up on the ability of English
to communicate eloquently on the syntactic level and produce
unnecessarily obscure sentences at times.  But sentence construction
alone can never make any work "timeless" and "transcendent" -- if
Milton were to write his shopping list in this form we wouldn't be
discussing it except as a curiosity.

Of course Milton knew what he was doing.

Jim R

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 7:09 AM, jonnyangel <junkopardner at comcast.net> wrote:

> And it's the Latinate construction (the thing after the "thing") of PL that
> makes it unique, transcendent, and timeless,
>
> Donch'a think?
>
> Either Milton knew what he was doing, or he didn't.
>
> (Oh, and give me Beethoven over Mozart- Mozart sounds like Bubble-Gum.)
>
> JonnyA

James Rovira
Tiffin University