[Milton-L] Re: RE: Best Resource on Satan as Hero (Noam Flinker)

Carol Barton cbartonphd1 at verizon.net
Wed Apr 15 17:54:31 EDT 2009

What Evan says is true--but further complicated by the dichotomy
between the *classical* (i.e. pagan) definition of heroism, and the
Christian definition,  a proposition I think Milton is also exploring
in _Samson Agonistes_. That is the reason why I suggested both that
the student should be familiar with the heroes of epic (including
those employing Spenser's "tilting furniture") and the ways in which
Milton's Satan does--and doesn't--resemble them (sometimes in entirely
inverted contexts), and that the subject she was preparing to tackle
was far more complicated than she might at the outset perceive.

 It's definitely enough fodder for an extended dissertation. I know.
(I wrote one myself.)

Best to all,

Carol Barton