[Milton-L] Absolute Freedom

Watt, James jwatt at butler.edu
Wed Apr 15 17:19:43 EDT 2009

I very much like Steve Fallon's response to this interesting question (which, as you anticipate, is sure to come up).  Another approach is that of the Anishinabe (or Chippewa) people of the Northern Great Lakes.  Recognizing the presence of energy (or motive force or power) in all created things, from the storms on the sun's surface to the movement of the butterfly and the recognition in the eyes of a newborn, these people
honor it as a kind of all suffusing guide to behavior.  I mean they DON'T worship, in the Western sense, nature (or what we, in our dualism, call 'Nature'); they acknowledge and honor it.  Power, in this sense can be
associated, in humans (or any agent with choice) with behavior in so far as they are able to direct it to the good.  But Force (or forcing, which we also have to hand as free agents) is understood to be an impostor.  To those who adopt it, it SEEMS to be power, (it APPEARS to 'work') but it is in fact an imposter.  In the same way any addictive behavior confuses its 'power' or 'pleasure' with the REAL THING, and so requires ever larger and larger dosages, leading to utter loss of self in the pursuit; so those who confuse force with power are trapped in a spiral from which there appears to be no escape.  In a word, God's creation is a totally separate and blessed thing from the invented world of those who employ force in pursuit of their own notions of the divine and the human's relation to it.  Remember those most marvelous words at the close of the poem, how the world waits naturally the chastened, but NOT condemned, pair. So many people still want and believe that the pre-lapserian world (which, after all 'exists' along with Adam & Eve --even as it must have 'existed from eternity'-- in the mind of humans, trying to explain their situation to themselves) is the desired one.  So desirable they will cheerfully and in good conscience use force to save people's souls for them.  For them the 'fortunate fall' is a ploy Milton uses to 'save God's 'face.'  Well.  Each person reads his own poem.  And thank God for that!  As I used to say to my Roman Catholic American students, "Just try imagining your religion absent the influence of Paradise Lost!  Milton must be, in the end, even more important to you than Augustine or Aquinas.  Of course that's not to say he is any more Roman Catholic than he is C. of E.  He's just an incredible gift for those of you who like to play mind games with yourselves and others, with this difference: that he is also a great blessing to many who will never hear of him."
Jim Watt