[Milton-L] Is Paradise Lost the greatest work?

Tony Demarest tonydemarest at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 15 17:07:04 EDT 2009

Mario-
This is the joy and pain of Lear- that it speaks so loudly the truth of the human condition- when we wish to say "Enough, enough" to the king's suffering, he must undergo yet more- you are aware of the controversy over the play's pessimism- well, who, in this age, can deny the despair associated with life- or perhaps the potential for despair. Lear must somehow or other be "rewarded" for his return to the human condition ( after his stripping, etc.)- and we hope all will be well, but Shakespeare gives us the darker side of the human condition, the one we do not wish to see or entertain- the reality that not all things will be well- so I believe that Lear does receive redemption (a paying back for what he has suffered), and that is being alive for the death of Cordelia- yet Shakespeare teases us with the King's death- is this the relief? (As Kent suggests?) If is is, well, I want none of it. Each of us has a "Lear" story to tell- though we can never hope to do so in the language of Shakespeare, the pain of the story is just as real. And those who have read Lear with an open heart will all tell the same.
Tony