[Milton-L] Is Paradise Lost the greatest work?

Mario DiCesare dicesare1 at mindspring.com
Wed Apr 15 16:14:20 EDT 2009

Tony Demarest, I'm interest in your phrase regarding Lear -- "his redemption into
despair." I'm reading "Lear" at the moment with, as always, odd and strange
feelings, including a kind of sharp pleasure with an undercurrent of pain. A very
dear old friend -- a no nonsense Scottish woman, from Glasgow, and we know they're
the toughest and most interesting -- said to me once, in her very old age, that she
could no longer read "Lear" or see it. "It's too painful." I understand that. Is it
the "redemption into despair" that makes it so painful?

Of course the play becomes painful right at the start. When Cordelia utters her
resounding "Nothing," holding to it stubbornly, Lear just as stubbornly but also
mindlessly refuses to accept any explanation of that response -- not hers, not
Kent's. What's particularly bitter here is the fact that Lear himself created this
trap when he concocted the love-test.

     "Which of you shall we say doth love us most?"

The crucial word is "say." That tells us how strange, even weird, his love-test was.
Goneril and Regan play along, falsely of course but perhaps also humanly, in
catering to that weirdness. The size and quality of that foolishness, of the pride
that is its substance, you can feel in his response to Kent: "Come not between the
dragon and his wrath!"

Clearly, Lear needs redemption. Into despair? The notion is attractive if a little
elusive. Enlightenment?

Mario