[Milton-L] Is Paradise Lost the greatest work?

Tony Demarest tonydemarest at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 15 15:37:56 EDT 2009

Not "long enough," but rather so much longer than the question deserved as it was twisted and molded to fit individual preferences. Surely a more important and relevant query would be what constitutes great literature- we are all guilty of taking tradition's identification of Shakespeare's or Milton's "greatness" without possibly pondering over many years the veracity of this claim- but we are not, because the authors and their works far outstrip those of contemporaries and of those who are not. We are going through Middle States next year, and needless to say, administration, deans, faculty are saying things absurd, such as "all academic activities are ultimately quantifiable." How grotesque and finally stupid the idea is- like this discussion thread. Attempted comparisons between Milton and Steele are simply silly and without merit- equally so with Milton and Shakespeare. The reality of so many variables- literary, social, economic, etc., etc., etc. preclude any valuable comparison. But you are right- this has gone on so intolerably long that I must resort to Cicero- "O tempora, o mores."
Tony