[Milton-L] Is Paradise Lost

Alberto Cacicedo alc at mac.com
Wed Apr 15 13:11:19 EDT 2009

I think that the tone of the responses was more about the dismissal of
Shakespeare as poet than about the possibility of evaluating the
excellence of particular works.  Of course that's not the question
that was posed--not particular works but the writers, and that makes
for a much more imponderable judgment.  No doubt discrimination about
gradations of greatness in writers is possible, but I suspect that any
conclusion would say more about the evaluator's tastes than about the
poet (I use the word with trepidation).--Al Cacicedo