[Milton-L] RE: Best Resource on Satan as Hero

Noam Flinker flinker at berkeley.edu
Tue Apr 14 13:19:14 EDT 2009

You might start with Neil Forsyth's The satanic epic Princeton,
N.J. : Princeton University Press, c2003. Another fascinating recent
book is Nancy Rosenfeld's The human Satan in seventeenth-century
English literature : from Milton to Rochester (Ashgate, 2008).

Noam Flinker

On Apr 14, 2009, at 9:40 AM, Tony Demarest wrote:

> Dear List Members-
>
> At our college, we require a senior research presentation in every
> A&S major- since I am the college's "resident
> medievalist" (probably pertains more to age than scholarship), I
> usually have students who wish to research Arthurian Romance or
> Chaucer. I have taught Milton twice in the past four years (I
> retired from secondary school administration in 2002)- and have
> been receiving more requests to work on Paradise Lost. At first,
> the topics reflected my interests- i.e. structure of Miltonic
> similes, but then I received requests for reflections on Eve's
> culpability, Satan as "hero," etc.
> Just yesterday, a student asked if I would mentor her through a
> study of Satan as a more heroic figure than God. This from a young
> woman attending a Catholic college- of course, I readily agreed. My
> dilemma: I have most of the mainstream sources (Fish, Lewis,
> Nicholson, etc.) but I would like newer links- my last academic
> connection with Milton studies was in 1970, and as a member of this
> list, I am almost ashamed about what I do not know. But since my
> position is "medieval," I carry courses from HEL to Milton- and
> occasionally delve into my favorites- Walcott and Heaney; so I am
> truly stretched, and would like to have your recommendations for
> further modern study in this aspect. What's new on Satan?
> As always, many thanks for your help-
>
> Tony
>
> Quick access to your favorite MSN content and Windows Live with
> Internet Explorer 8. Download FREE now!

Prof. Noam Flinker
Visiting Scholar
Dept. of English UC at Berkeley