[Milton-L] Is Paradise Lost

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 09:48:19 EDT 2009

comparison between Milton and Danielle Steele then conceptions of
literary merit and perhaps even greatness might be meaningful.  But if
we're talking about a comparison between Milton and Shakespeare I
think we're asking for more finely honed evaluative tools than are
humanly possible.  A comparison on this level is meaningless, largely
aggrandizes the critic far beyond his/her merit, and in the end
teaches us little about the literature and a great deal about the
critic -- which is still valuable knowledge, so long as we know that's
what we're getting.