[Milton-L] Is Paradise Lost

Tony Demarest tonydemarest at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 14 14:10:57 EDT 2009

Please- it's ALLAN- sort of like mixing their and there
Tony

From: wahcenter at earthlink.net
To: milton-l at lists.richmond.edu
Subject: Re: [Milton-L] Is Paradise Lost
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 14:08:30 -0400

The Fate of the Very Greatest

“I have sometimes amused myself by endeavoring to fancy what would
be the fate of the individual gifted, or rather accursed, with an intellect
very far superior to that of his race. Of course, he would be conscious of his
superiority; nor could he (if otherwise constituted as man is) help manifesting
his consciousness. Thus he would make himself enemies at all points. And since
his opinions and speculations would widely differ from those of mankind – that
he would be considered a madman is evident.  How horribly painful such a condition! Hell could invent no
greater torture than that of being charged with abnormal weakness on account of
being abnormally strong.

“In the like manner, nothing can be clearer than that a very
generous spirit – truly feeling what all merely profess – must inevitably find
itself misconceived in every direction – its motives misinterpreted.”

EDGAR ALLEN POE

On Apr 14, 2009, at 1:58 PM, James Rovira wrote:Well, yes, the consciously inane or the convincing inane or the ironic
inane.  But the earnest inane...

http://classicpersuasion.org/pw/longinus/

Jim R

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 1:51 PM, Nancy Charlton