[Milton-L] Is Paradise Lost

Tony Demarest tonydemarest at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 14 14:08:10 EDT 2009

How can one call Longinus and his "peri hupsos" as testament for a 17th century work? Why not Aristotle? Plato, or perhaps e.g.'s from Homer, Diogenes' On Style?- if memory serves me correctly, and my Greek is at least 48 years ago- Longinus discussed rhetoric with bird walks into literature; the sublime was a form of almost perfect speech- as with the sophists, relegated to a specific aspect of discourse. As one should be wary of applying Freud to Hamlet, the obverse is equally true: one should be wary of applying Longinus to Milton- and not widening the interpretation to accommodate 21st century thought? Longinus is valuable in formulating a stand-alone definition of the "sublime," but hardly the "good starting point" you suggest. Rather a piece of the LEGO, rather than the directions, no? I remember Longinus' receiving less time than Sainte Beuve- perhaps this is my loss and I have spoken in ignorance. I would always defer to Aristotle.
Tony