[Milton-L] RE: On Cynthia's Ear

Watt, James jwatt at butler.edu
Tue Apr 14 13:34:35 EDT 2009

Amen Cynthia!  I haven't really tried hard enough to tell about Proust yet.  But I have to confess that it is only because of the enthusiastic championing of my poet friends whom I respect this side idolatry that I agree to E. Pound.  I am totally (Well almost; 'Petals on a wet black bough' I rather like) tone deaf to his whole enterprise.  And this is all the funnier in that I am sort of a nut about the epic.  I have read not only Stephen V. Benet's 'John Brown's Body' and Kazantzakis' 'Odyssey: A modern sequel", but practically every long narrative poem I could get my hands on.  I even scanned Voltaire's Henriad.  But as for the cantos: sorry.  nil.  my loss, as you say.  not the world's

jim watt