[Milton-L] Is Paradise Lost

gilliaca at jmu.edu gilliaca at jmu.edu
Tue Apr 14 12:42:27 EDT 2009

. The older a reader gets, the
>   more open to greatness and brilliance his/her mind
>   becomes.

Yes - and the more aware that there are a large variety of excellences.  What makes an excellent sonnet is not the same thing that makes an excellent detective novel.

And different people have different assortments of receptors for excellence. For example, I've got no receptors as all for Proust. I"ve tried and tried and tried.I  am sure that those who value Proust for his excellences can list them easily. I just don't get him. My loss, I know, but it's perhaps like taste in music. There are people who have no receptors at all for bagpipes; I think they are missing something thrilling, but if the receptors aren't there, they aren't there.

And I think over time people can grow new receptors, and perhaps other receptors fade with time.  I really DON'T think I could read "Black Beauty" with the same pleasure now that it gave me when I craved horses.

Cynthia A. Gilliatt
English Department, JMU, ret.
JMU Safe Zones supporter