[Milton-L] Christopher Hill once again - a brief note

John Geraghty johnegeraghty at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 14 12:14:33 EDT 2009

Be sure to cc Cheney on that.

-John

G   reat and benign, indeed, must be the power

O  f living nature, which could thus so long

D  etain me from the best of other guides

S   hakespeare, or Milton, labourers divine!

A  nd Milton colleding all his fibres into impregnable strength

G  arden, clothed in black, severe & silent he descended.

O  ut from the eastern sky; descending down into my Cottage

D  escended down a Paved work of all kinds of precious stones

a dog and a god glar'd

A  mong th' accurst, that witherd all thir strength,

G  lar'd lightning, and shot forth pernicious fire

O  ne Spirit in them rul'd, and every eye

D  istinct alike with multitude of eyes,

  Beast now with Beast gan war, and Fowle with Fowle,

A       nd Fish with Fish; to graze the Herb all leaving,

D       evourd each other; nor stood much in awe

O       f Man, but fled him, or with count'nance grim

G lar'd on him passing: these were from without

N   Human Form   but only a Fibrous Vegetation,

Or like a           Human Form,                 a friend with whom he liv'd
benevolent.

As the eye of         MAN                        views both the east & west
encompassing

As with new clay, a Human Form in the Valley of Beth Peor.

A  creature formed of earth, and him endow,

D  etermined to advance into our room

A  re his created, or, to spite us more,

M ore Angels to create, if they at least

S  aying: Pity and Love are too venerable for the imputation

O f Guilt. Others said: If it is true, if the ads have been performed,

L et the Bard himself witness. Where hadst thou this terrible Song.?

    The Bard replied: I am Inspired! I know it is Truth! for I Sing

According to the inspiration of the Poetic Genius,

Who is the eternal all proteding Divine Humanity,

T   he Poet's Tsol was with me at that time  (now losT);

S   weet meditations, the still overflow

O   f present happiness, while future years

L   acked not anticipations, tender dreams,