[Milton-L] Is Paradise Lost

Alan Rudrum alanrudrum at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 00:22:04 EDT 2009

the greatest single work of literature in the English language, as was
stated on this list recently?

Certainly it might be argued that it is; but when I raised the question with
the scholar nearest to hand, we said simultaneously "What about *King Lear?"

*And then there is Wordsworth's *Prelude*, which begins with a meaningful
echo of *Samson Agonistes*, - not every Milton scholar of my acquaintance
managed to see this for himself,- and speaks at least as well as *Paradise
Lost* to the concerns of many people one would hesitate to condemn as
stupid.

Alan Rudrum
*

*