[Milton-L] Health Comes First

Horace Jeffery Hodges jefferyhodges at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 10 17:16:30 EDT 2009

I probably ought to have given the background to my joke first. An article of mine on Don Quixote will be published by the Cervantes Society of America, probably in autumn 2009. Of course, that also has nothing to do with Milton.

The abstract is below.

Jeffery Hodges

http://gypsyscholarship.blogspot.com/2009/04/holy-moley-don-quixotes-significant.html

"Holy Moley: Don Quixote’s Significant Señal"

Cervantes is known for using strong irony in his novel Don Quixote to satirize and ridicule various figures. In a famous scene in which a lady in distress named Dorothea describes a certain mole to be found as the identifying mark on the back of the hero who will free her father's kingdom from a fierce giant, Don Quixote is revealed to have precisely that sort of mole . . . more or less. As early as 1777, John Bowle noted the parallel to the story of the Muslim conqueror Tarif, who was identified by the presence of a mole on his right shoulder as the man who would conquer Spain. This tale of Tarif had been related in Miguel de Luna's True History of Don Rodrigo (Historia verdadera del Rey Don Rodrigo), published shortly before the publication of Don Quixote and was surely known by Cervantes. Separately, Mercedes García-Arenal has recently noted the parallel between the Tarif story in Luna's True History and the qisas al-anbiya', i.e., "Stories of the
 Prophets," adapted from the Qur'an. The specific connection lies in the special mark of the Muslim Prophet Muhammad, a 'mole' on his back, which identified him as the "seal of the prophets." Interestingly, Cervantes seems to adapt his passage concerning the revelation of Quixote's mole more closely to the 'mole' of Muhammad, thereby raising the question as to whether or not Cervantes intended to implicitly ridicule Muhammad. The article broaches the answer to this question.