[Milton-L] Milton & Pullman (and Blake and Lewis too)

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 20:48:37 EDT 2009

I think Blake's critique of Milton is much more complex than that,
Nancy, and Blake had far more problems with Milton's God than with
Milton's Satan.  Blake equated the moral judgments of Milton's God
with the character Satan in the book of Job, so that Job's Satan is
Milton's God.  Blake being seemingly enamored of Satan in MHH is
simply Blake taking a position opposite Miltion's God (the real Satan
as far as the Bible is concerned to Blake).  There's far more
criticism of Milton's God than praise for Milton's Satan in Blake,
who I think is better represented by the character Satan in Jerusalem
than by the devils in MHH.

Jim R