[Milton-L] Milton & Pullman (and Blake and Lewis too)

Nancy Charlton ncharlton2009 at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 2 17:07:28 EDT 2009

Angelica, Peggy and others:

At the risk of being a bragging grandma, my eldest granddaughter has discussed "Little Women" in her blog,

http://bookfairysfavorites.blogspot.com

To match up "Little Women" with Pullman is a metaphysical leap, but on further reflection the basic tropes are there for such a comparison--at least, via Paradise Lost. Jo's fantastic plays: "dark materials"?  Laurie: "a fairer person lost not Heaven"? Aunt March: God? Marmee: Raphael?  I'll try again on Pullman, but I haven't much liked what I've read up to now.

Pullman seems not to have read much farther in PL than "better to reign in Hell," and maybe the same could be said of Blake. Did either one pay any attention to the discrediting of Satan in Book X?

Nancy Charlton