[Milton-L] On Vergil/Milton and Pullman

gilliaca at jmu.edu gilliaca at jmu.edu
Wed Apr 1 16:24:20 EDT 2009

.>Rowling may disavow knowledge of the genres inherent in her writing (or
>fantasy, at least--I'm not certain she ever depreciated the British
>school novel), but her writing demonstrates mastery of their tropes and
>techniques.

Yes.  I read Kipling's "Stalky $ Co." while in high school - several times - and later in life read "Tom Brown's Schooldays" and some others of the genre. They give  a particular kind of pleasure, as the reader enters into a [largely] enclosed world, with its own language, laws etc. I think that's one of the things that makes the books work, as her fantasy material is presented in a very conventional genre, with well known tropes worked out in new ways.

>If pressed, I'd rather discuss echoes of Milton's work in writers like
>Gaiman or Pratchett over Pullman, however overt the latter is about
>Milton's influence upon him. .

I know and love Pratchett - but not Gaiman.  What in the genre?

Cynthia A. Gilliatt
English Department, JMU, ret.
JMU Safe Zones supporter