[Milton-L] On Vergil/Milton and Pullman

David Ainsworth dainsworth at ua.edu
Wed Apr 1 16:00:16 EDT 2009

Oddly enough, I think this discussion of Vergil and Milton best
articulates my feelings about where Milton succeeds and Pullman fails.
I found His Dark Materials to oversimplify Milton to the extent that it
drew upon him, while the trilogy also managed to proceed indifferently
along magical-realism paths as if ashamed of its genre.  Where Vergil
and Milton's epic poems both demonstrate their authors' skill within
their chosen genre and offer their own critiques of its function and
conventions, Pullman, I felt, wanted to critique but lacked consummate
skill within the genre he chose.

Rowling may disavow knowledge of the genres inherent in her writing (or
fantasy, at least--I'm not certain she ever depreciated the British
school novel), but her writing demonstrates mastery of their tropes and
techniques.

If pressed, I'd rather discuss echoes of Milton's work in writers like
Gaiman or Pratchett over Pullman, however overt the latter is about
Milton's influence upon him.  The first two are revolutionaries within
their genres in ways equatable to Vergil and Milton; the latter, I
believe, is not.

David Ainsworth