[Milton-L] L'Allegro and Il Penseroso

Carl Bellinger bcarlb at comcast.net
Wed Apr 1 09:56:05 EDT 2009

L'Allegro, lines 82-83:

> From betwixt two aged oaks,
> Where Corydon and Thyrsis met

Is this a reference to Virgil's Eclogue VII, where Corydon and Thyrsis
strive for victory in a brave match of alternate verses?

That contest had a declared winner, Corydon, whose verses seem to me, in
English translation, more on the blithe side while Thyrsis's are more dark,
crabby.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/cla/virgil/ecl/ecl07.htm

Carl