[Milton-L] Political and Correct

Horace Jeffery Hodges jefferyhodges at yahoo.com
Mon May 26 19:01:26 EDT 2008

Hannibal, would you consider discussion of the expression "politically correct" to be inappropriate, too? Or were you principally concerned with the Memorial Day post?

  Jeffery Hodges

HANNIBAL HAMLIN <hamlin.22 at osu.edu> wrote:
  I suspect I am not the only one on this list who finds this discussion inappropriate and rather irritating.  This is Milton-L.  Political topics of all sorts are obviously relevant to the discussion of Milton, his works, his age, and his reception.  The current discussion, however, whatever your position on it, is not, since Milton has not once been mentioned.  I realize the initial posting was well-meaning, but there are many reasons why such Memorial Day notices should be posted elsewhere:

1.  Memorial Day is a U.S. holiday, but this is a list with international subscribers, some perhaps from countries with which the U.S. has at one time or other been at war.  Such scholars (among others) might feel at the very least ambivalent about celebrating the American armed forces.

2.  As was clear at the Memorial Day concert yesterday evening, it is very difficult to separate appreciation for genuine sacrifice and regret for (especially needless) loss and suffering from support for administrations, specific military decisions, and jingoism.

3.  This is a list for discussing Milton.

4.  One great feature of lists like this one are that they encourage discussion among an international community of scholars, united by their dedication to literature, scholarship, and the pursuit of knowledge.  I would hate to see them become more parochial by the introduction of potentially divisive national or partisan politics.

5.  This is a list for discussing Milton.

Hannibal