[Milton-L] Milton and games

Nancy Charlton pastorale55 at yahoo.com
Wed May 21 17:00:44 EDT 2008

Thanks, Erick, for coming up with this. And your translation is spot-on accurate and gracefully poetic. "Dances, mild games, and love". What more could you ask, young or old?

Erick Ramalho <ramalhoerick at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

  Nancy Charlton wrote:

  ‘And if I recall right, in the Prolusions JM devotes a lot of attention to sport and play. We know that he could fence and ride acceptably, and he walked in the garden 3 or 4 hours every afternoon while writing PL, but is there  any other evidence that he enjoyed sports and games? ‘

  Although not a direct remark  by Milton on his own playing games, the following lines from Damon’s Epitaph do relate to your question inasmuch as a poetic view on the topic:

  non haec solet esse juventae
  Nubila frons, oculique truces, vultusque severi,
  Illa choros, lususque leves, & semper amorem
  Jure petit; (83-86)

  A frowned face, fierce eyes and grave looks do not suit youth, which always rightfully requires dances, mild games and love (my translation here).

  I hope I might have been of  help.

  Regards,

  Erick Ramalho

  Centre for Shakespearean Studies (Brazil)

Nancy Charlton
http://groups.google.com/group/paradiselostdaily
Hail universal Lord, be bounteous still
To give us only good; and if the night
Have gatherd aught of evil or conceald
Disperse it, as now light dispells the dark.  (V.205-209)