[Milton-L] Milton and games

Erick Ramalho ramalhoerick at yahoo.co.uk
Wed May 21 16:31:08 EDT 2008

  Nancy Charlton wrote:

  ‘And if I recall right, in the Prolusions JM devotes a lot of attention to sport and play. We know that he could fence and ride acceptably, and he walked in the garden 3 or 4 hours every afternoon while writing PL, but is there any other evidence that he enjoyed sports and games? ‘

  Although not a direct remark  by Milton on his own playing games, the following lines from Damon’s Epitaph do relate to your question inasmuch as a poetic view on the topic:

  non haec solet esse juventae
  Nubila frons, oculique truces, vultusque severi,
  Illa choros, lususque leves, & semper amorem
  Jure petit; (83-86)

  A frowned face, fierce eyes and grave looks do not suit youth, which always rightfully requires dances, mild games and love (my translation here).

  I hope I might have been of help.

  Regards,

  Erick Ramalho

  Centre for Shakespearean Studies (Brazil)