[Milton-L] (For U.S. members): Utterly un-Miltonic w/a bit of Milton trivia

Nancy Charlton pastorale55 at yahoo.com
Wed May 21 15:41:30 EDT 2008

Yes, this is very helpful.  In such spirit I'd like to send along the text of an email that came in May 8. I tried the number, and it is on the level.

   Cell  phone numbers going public tomorrow

   REMINDER....all  cell phone numbers are being released to telemarketing companies  tomorrow and you will start to receive sale calls.

   ....YOU WILL  BE CHARGED FOR THESE CALLS

   To prevent this, call the following  number from your cell phone:

   888-382-1222.

   It is   the National DO NOT CALL list. It will only take a minute of your time

   It blocks your number for five (5) years. You must call from the  cell phone number you want to have blocked. You cannot call from a  different phone number.

   HELP OTHERS BY  PASSING THIS ON TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS.

   It  take about 20  seconds.

This is Miltonic, however:

Bobby Wolff, author of the newspaper column "Aces on Bridge," wears his erudition lightly, and today delighted as well as taught with this from L'Allegro as epigraph:

Right against the eastern gate, Where the great Sun begins his state,
The bridge hand in question had East holding a few critical cards.  Declarer South (it's always South) guessed--i.e. reasoned--right and made three overtricks on his vulnerable spade game, whereas at other tables declarer just made game or went down by one.

This works beautifully as epigraph even though it's not a sentence replete with verb, and raises a chuckle by the time you've finished the column. Just a few lines earlier we saw "Sport that wrinkled Care derides/ And laughter holding both his sides." I love to quote this when people kvetch about Milton being somber and dour and, well, puritannical. I also like to refer them to Book IV passim but especially lines 300-320.

And if I recall right, in the Prolusions JM devotes a lot of attention to sport and play. We know that he could fence and ride acceptably, and he walked in the garden 3 or 4 hours every afternoon while writing PL, but is there any other evidence that he enjoyed sports and games?

Nancy Charlton

 James Rovira <jamesrovira at gmail.com> wrote: Bless you, Carol.

I did a quick check on the site and the information seems accurate.
Yesterday while driving around I looked for the lowest prices and the
prices/locations shown on the website match what I observed yesterday
for my area.

Jim R\

Nancy Charlton
http://groups.google.com/group/paradiselostdaily
Hail universal Lord, be bounteous still
To give us only good; and if the night
Have gatherd aught of evil or conceald
Disperse it, as now light dispells the dark.  (V.205-209)