[Milton-L] taylor v smith, shakespeare v milton

Justin Kolb jbkolb at wisc.edu
Mon May 19 14:44:20 EDT 2008

I think this Machacek and Berglund's line of thinking here is dead on. The "Battle of the Bards" framing is silly, but if it helps to reinsert these great writers into the wider discourse, it's all for the good. I also argree that yes, Milton is difficult, and the fact that works like PL are dense and challenging and cosmic in scope is best used as a selling point for students, not something to be apologized or held up as a reason that the barabrous youth will never get it.

Of course, I've found that the best way to make PL seem accesible is to teach it in the same semester as The Faerie Queene. Blank verse comes as blessed relief after slogging through Spenser's stanzas.

JBK