[Milton-L] Nigel Smith's Milton in Time Magazine

Rose Williams rwill627 at suddenlink.net
Sun May 18 19:55:54 EDT 2008

This is getting interesting.
I had not considered Dr. Kantor's remarks re Jane Austen, but I think I
shall. She has a point in
bringing up the following:

If Mr. Bennett of "Pride and Prejudice" had been more patriarchal, perhaps
he wouldn't have sent
his youngest daughter off to Brighton, where she was seduced, simply because
it was too much
trouble to deal with her complaints and make her behave.

If Mr. Woodhouse of "Emma" had been more patriarchal, perhaps he would have
given Emma
an example of good sense  and good behaviour instead of acting like an
elderly child.

If Mr. Dashwood of "Sense and Sensibility" had been more patriarchal,
perhaps he would have made
provision for his wife and daughters instead of leaving them at the mercy of
his son and the son's
despicable wife.

Now I think I shall buy a copy of "The Politically Incorrect Guide to the
South." There may be a few
truthful points in it which I can research. I sometimes relax in spare time
by skimming works that established
academicians summarily dismiss as claptrap. That is what established
academicians said about Schliemann's
location for the city of Troy and Heyerdahl's plan to sail a reed boat
across the Atlantic.

Rose Williams