[Milton-L] Nigel Smith's Milton in Time Magazine

Carol Barton cbartonphd1 at verizon.net
Sun May 18 17:06:29 EDT 2008

Justin, do you consider your response to be demonstrative of the kind
of scholarship you appear to be advocating? No one "savaged Taylor for
comparing Milton to Shakespeare"--though apparently you chose to
interpret what was said that way. Can you not see the "politicized
claptrap" in your own denigration of Professor Williams' comment, or
your own myopic repetition of my argument as if it were something as
yet unsaid?

My point was precisely that "there is room for both [Milton and
Shakespeare] in the canon," and that articles like Taylor's do a
disservice to academia. Published in a vehicle which is read by an
essentially lay audience, they may do more than that.

May you never have the experience of being told that you can't teach a
timely and relevant but as-yet unoffered course in Milton because it
might lower enrollment in the standard fare (and enrollment in that
course is already low enough).

And may you stay forever young.

Carol Barton