[Milton-L] Bee similie Pandaemonium

Marlene Edelstein malkaruth2000 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu May 1 03:43:01 EDT 2008

and to the fourth book of Virgil's Georgics, where the beehive is a mock-epic trope.

Cristine Soliz <csoliz at csoliz.com> wrote:  You might also consider it as Milton's allusion to the Theogony of Hesiod.
Cristine

_______________
Cristine Soliz
PhD in Comparative Literature
Faculty in English, Diné College
Faculty Association President
Project Director, NEH Grant
http://dchumanities.org/
Area Chair Historical Fiction, SW Tex Pop Culture and Am Culture Assoc
Associate Scholar, Center for World Indigenous Studies
http://csoliz.com
csoliz at csoliz.com

> From: Jameela Lares
> Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 19:37:06 -0500
> To: John Milton Discussion List
> Subject: Re: [Milton-L] Bee similie Pandaemonium
>
> Quoting Andrea Esther Fingar :
>
>> Hello all,
>> I've just joined the mailing list. I'm in a Milton course at MSU and am doing
>> a research paper. I want to do it on the Bee similie. I'm really a novice
>> since I'm an undergrad. and this is my first experience with Milton and
>> reading Paradise Lost.
>> There are 2 other references to the bee. In Book V and Book VII. Are these
>> related to the 1st "Bee" in Book I? The footnote to the "bee" in Book I
>> mentions Homer and Virgil also Salmasius' assertion that bees compare to
>> absolute monarchy, etc. Can anyone elaborate or point me in the right
>> direction to find material on this subject.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Andrea
>> fingara1 at mail.montclair.edu

believe everything, believe nothing