[Milton-L] Abdiel (thought-sins)

Michael Gillum mgillum at unca.edu
Mon Jun 30 18:04:35 EDT 2008

Clearly I¹m in the minority here in thinking that Adam and Eve sin before
they eat the fruit. Maybe I¹m wrong. So let me reiterate the points I¹ve
made and invite rebuttals to the position I¹ve stumbled into.

1. A&E are bound not only by the prohibition of the tree ‹ a so-called
³positive² law that gains its force only from the authority of the
legislator ‹ but also by the ³rule of conscience² (DDC 1.11). This latter is
the obligation to follow reason in accordance with natural law; as Eve says,
³our reason is our law.² According to DDC, transgression of this law is sin.
2. Natural law and reason dictate that A&E maintain, as the first principle
of life, a stance of grateful obedience toward their creator. Since the
prohibition is arbitrary, reason doesn¹t tell them to avoid a particular
tree. However, reason does tell them to follow God¹s commandment, not only
from fear of punishment, but because they are morally obliged to serve God.
The Father¹s statements make clear that he intends the prohibition as a test
of grateful obedience.
3. Therefore, just deciding to break the commandment ‹ as a confirmed or
³approved² thought -- is a sin against God and natural law according to the
³rule of conscience.² It marks the failure of grateful obedience; it is
already disobedience of the law.
4. DDC says ³our original parents were first guilty [n.b.]² of ³evil
concupiscence² or desiring to sin. (This I take it would need to be
something more than a passing thought.) DDC also says thoughts may
constitute ³actual sin.²
5. Adam says that evil thoughts may come and go without ³spot or blame²
provided they are ³unapproved.² This statement implies that evil thoughts,
if approved, entail spot or blame. I take ³approval² to entail conscious
endorsement or confirmation.

In his interior monologue, Adam mentions ³forbiddance² and transgression in
reference to Eve¹s act and wonders how it could have happened (9.900-905),
but, in reference to his own decision, he doesn¹t think at all of ethics,
God or law, nor does he reason at all. He just decides, solely on the basis
of his feelings, to disobey and die (906-07).  Then he compellingly
describes these feelings (908-17). He never consults the ³rule of
conscience.² Because Adam has already corrupted himself with this decision,
his subsequent speech to Eve is corrupt.

Michael