[Milton-L] Abdiel

Watt, James jwatt at butler.edu
Mon Jun 30 15:16:20 EDT 2008

Hi Jim Rovira

No.  I don't think the only thing we can do with poems is admire them.
And as to rules I think one of the functions of poetry is to reveal to us
the necessity of pushing, with all our being, against them in order to
discover their limits.  Not so we can live outside limits, but so that we
can manage our existence with equal respect to rules and the makers
of them.  For me (and I think for Milton) God's incredible gift of free
will means the necessity to push even --or especially-- against rules
perceived by us to be God's.  And, for me, (and I suspect for you, since
you are loving K.) theology sans emotion is as bad as poetry sans
reason.

Jim Watt