[Milton-L] Abdiel, hypocrisy, temptation

Watt, James jwatt at butler.edu
Mon Jun 30 14:59:21 EDT 2008

Michael:

Love your continuity in the argument about Abdiel and Jesus (and even The Lady!).  But remember that the rejection of sin is not EXCLUSIVELY the prerogative of reason.  In my own case (which is all I can generalize from) my feelings are much quicker to detect and reject evil than my reason.  Maybe this is just because I'm not the brightest bulb in the room.  But I doubt it.  I come from a long line of excellent test takers and always score high on the tests the bright boys and girls devise (my GRE's, for example, got me into U.N.C. Chapel Hill (I was in the 98th or 99th percentile; I honestly don't recall which.  But I DO recall that all of us in my entering class were in the same bracket.  And I KNOW I wasn't the dimmest in that gang.  My point is that I love reason.  I love playing games that involve reason.  But I don't trust my soul to it.

Jim Watt