[Milton-L] monologues

jfleming at sfu.ca jfleming at sfu.ca
Sun Jun 29 18:21:26 EDT 2008

No doubt many things, including the previous fall of Satan and his presence
and activities in the garden, are "productive of" the falls of Adam and Eve,
in a loose or weak sense. The inner monologues of book 9, however, are
represented as productive of the fall in a direct and strong sense. Adam and
Eve talk themselves into falling. That, moreover, is the first time (as far
as I can tell) that we see them talking to themselves at all. The fall
follows immediately from this voluntary turn to a self-sufficient and, in
principle, non-expressive intentionality. Thus the latter productive of the
former.

Eve's dream is the result of direct psychic manipulation by Satan-as-toad.
It is like hypnosis, or the result of a spiked drink -- very far from being
akin to an inner monologue. The content of the dream, moreover, is
spectative and objective, rather than reflective or dialogic. Eve watches an
apparently angelic form apostrophize the tree. Only at the very end of the
dream is she offered a part in the action; and that, notably, without a
word. Finally, Eve is very upset by the vision of mental autarky that Satan
has foisted on her. Waking, she turns to Adam, turns to expression, and
turns to work. JD Fleming