[Milton-L] Abdiel, hypocrisy, temptation

jfleming at sfu.ca jfleming at sfu.ca
Sun Jun 29 13:58:49 EDT 2008

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 13:59:18 -0400 milton-l at lists.richmond.edu wrote:

> So I come back to the question:  does being tempted itself denigrate
> the tempted?	Is Abdiel less pure after facing temptation and
> rejecting it?

In my view, no. Because Abdiel talks back. Like Christ on the pinnacle, and
Samson at the theater, he moves from intention to speech-action. As opposed
to the other thousands of Satan's God-given army, any number of whom may be
thinking, but not saying, "I have a bad feeling about this."

is Eve soiled simply by the act of visiting the tree and
> listening to the Serpent's argument?

Again, in my view, no. She is "soiled" -- or rather, she falls -- by
violating God's prohibition; and she violates God's prohibition after she
stops questioning what she is hearing (from the serpent). Questions mean
dialogue; dialogue entails argument.  Therefore, listening to arguments
(from whomever) aligns with the lost possibility of Eve's standing, not with
foretold fact of her falling.

J.D. Fleming