[Milton-L] Milton and Sin

Alice Crawford Berghof aberghof at uci.edu
Sat Jun 28 19:10:09 EDT 2008

Thanks, sounds good to me.  Short-circuiting of judgment.  I like that
phrase, and find it useful.  For a longer conversation at a later date:
what mediates between judgment and passion?  There has to be a higher,
unnamed faculty at work or failing to work - hence the limit of names,
perhaps, to apply John Leonard's terms, or the conundrum of speaking
about the Fall in fallen terms.  Alternately, is that higher faculty
reason?

I'm trying to reconcile the notion of Adam's individual perception with
what you said earlier: "he knows his decision is wrong from God's
standpoint and in an absolute sense."  Also, I agree that the monologue
is lyric, but I am remembering what John Leonard says about the
passage, and I am still trying to decide whether we should place limits
on the extent of the lyricism, given that Adam could've died for Eve,
etc.  Happy to hear what you think at any point in the future.  No
problem discussing this at a later date.  I am hoping I'm not keeping
people away from writing, etc.
Alice