[Milton-L] Milton and Sin

Michael Gillum mgillum at unca.edu
Sat Jun 28 18:43:21 EDT 2008

Alice,

I didn't intend my post to address only Harold Skulsky-- should have made
that clearer.

Raphael's line, "as thou thyself perceiv'st" (8.566), refers to Adam's
previously stated understanding that his reverence for Eve is out of
proportion, given that he is by nature slightly superior to her. I take
Raphael to be speaking here about objective reasoning rather than what we
would call point of view or individual perception. Adam's subjective view
combines this rational understanding with his passionate feelings for Eve,
and the latter will determine his fatal choice. It's not so much a defect in
judgment as a short circuiting of judgment.

The latter part of Adam's monologue ("How could I live without thee,"
9.908-16) is a pure lyric expression of emotion.

Michael