[Milton-L] Milton and Sin

Michael Gillum mgillum at unca.edu
Sat Jun 28 16:34:43 EDT 2008

Prof. Skulsky,

Thanks for the translation and commentary. My understanding of these matters
is thin.

1. In the DDC passage, is the idea of un-straightness cognate with the idea
that evil is a defect or a falling-short rather than a positive something?

2. Regarding the analogy of the carpenter's square, I take it that Milton
would say a 90-degree angle would be a 90-degree angle regardless of what
rational being created the universe.

3. "This position aligns Milton with Erasmus, Suarez, and some neoplatonists
against Luther, Calvin, and the orthodox Catholic version of natural law
theory."  Could you briefly explain how the Thomist version of natural law
is voluntarist? I had assumed otherwise.

4. Adam's many correct understandings show that his reason is attuned to Law
and runs parallel to some extent with divine reason. When he commits to
dying with Eve, he knows this decision is wrong from God's standpoint and in
an absolute sense. Of course, one of the most interesting things about the
poem is Milton supplying Adam with motivation so powerful that we wonder
whether he really was created strong enough to stand, since we can't help
but feel that he made the inevitable and humanly "right" choice (cue Fish).

Michael