[Milton-L] Abdiel

Alice Crawford Berghof aberghof at uci.edu
Sat Jun 28 01:41:21 EDT 2008

I have three quick comments regarding my small role in this.  Sorry not
to respond more fully.

1. In my opinion, psychology and language are related, but the way they
are related in literary characters differs from the way they are
related in real people.  To begin with your terms, the "choice of
language" is not Adam's nor Eve's, but Milton's.  That would be a
starting point for future debate.

2. I find the notion of presentiment to be useful in precisely the
terms you use, but perhaps more as a subtlety of genre (re the genre
posting by Michael Gillum) than psychology.  Presentiment might be a
term Milton studies could adopt in order to describe lyric
foreshadowing and to distinguish this from narrative foreshadowing.
Right, in my reading, this kind of presentiment would be rhetorical and
would involve echoes of tropes as well as etymological puns.

3. There are aspects of Heidegger (notably "thrownness") that might
provide interesting counterparts to what you describe as the suddenness
of Kierkegaardian falling.  Also, Derrida on Heidegger heightens our
awareness of the state of always already having fallen, etc.  The
distinction between early and late Heidegger on the notion of dwelling
also seems relevant for the Expulsion - I am thinking of "Building,
Dwelling, Thinking" in its departure from B&T.

Warm regards to all.  I'm looking forward to continuing these
discussions in person in London and online in the ensuing months.
Alice