[Milton-L] Milton, sin and treason

Alice Crawford Berghof aberghof at uci.edu
Fri Jun 27 19:44:31 EDT 2008

A quick question: would anyone like to discuss, on or off-list, the
ways in which Milton departs from Augustine's definition of sin?  In my
view, the list's recent debate over treason casts Milton in a decidedly
Augustinian light.  Judith Anderson's paraphrase regarding privation,
below, is quintessential Augustine.  Augustine's notion of evil as the
turn away from God, heavily influenced by such articulations in the
Proverbs, is here in the below posting as well - in the notion of
deviation.  Given that the turn has to be deliberate, Carol Barton's
interpretation would come into play here.  A final thought: as a coda
to the discussion of treason, I am thinking more broadly of Milton's
influence on early modern English legal theory in terms of the
punishable implications of the deliberate intention to transgress,
something that has contemporary relevance.
Alice